Montagne Jeunesse Mint Choco Chip Facial Mask Review

Mint Choco is formulated similarly to Freeman Beauty's Strawberry Chocolate mask. Both are deeply moisturizing clay masks formulated with shea butter and cacao butter. Mint Choco has more moisturizing ingredients listed higher in their list than Strawberry Chocolate, signifying that it would be more moisturizing, normally. However, Mint Choco also has a lot more ingredients including things like milk & aloe vera.

I found Mint Choco to be less moisturizing than Strawberry Chocolate, and more oil absorbent and deep cleaning. Strawberry Chocolate just kind of sits on my face absorbing a little oil but overall just moisturizing. Mint Choco did a little bit more, and I found the peppermint oil very refreshing.

Okay, so on to the actual review. Mint Choco had a nice consistency with a light green color and little cacao flakes. It applied very easily. The smell was very similar to mint chocolate ice cream but it was hella strong. I had enough in my pack to use it twice and both times the mint scent "haunted" me in my sleep, unable to get that mint smell off my face despite rinsing it off 4 times. That scent is seriously strong.

When the mask dried it absorbed almost enough oil to see the "pore thing" you get with stronger masks like lemon & mint or avocado & oatmeal. I think in strength the oil pull was about a 2.5 out of 5 (5 being the strongest). I rated avocado & oatmeal a 3 just to get you an idea. I would give strawberry chocolate a 1 out of 5, just for the record.

Overall, I really liked this mask BUT the smell thing does bother me. I find it pretty sickly to have that artificial mint chocolate smell haunting me like that. If it came in a 6 ounce tube like strawberry chocolate for $3.99 I would probably still buy it over strawberry chocolate because I do really like that it absorbs more oil and feels refreshing. However with 0.5 ounce packs for a $1.37, I just don't love the product enough to replace strawberry chocolate. And I mean I pay up the nose for charcoal and black sugar mud mask and pumpkin peel so I would if I really loved it enough, but I don't.

So that's that I suppose :)

Popular Posts